Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Checkout shutting down November 20, 2013

Retiring Google Checkout Announcement - Google Checkout Merchant Help

Unfortunately Google Checkout will soon be no more. The last date to sign up for a new Google Checkout account out is May 20, 2013, and Google Checkout will shut down for everyone on November 20, 2013.

For those selling physical goods, Google is recommending three alternatives:

for Payment Processing: Braintree Payments
    for Hosted storefront: Shopify
    Email invoicing: Freshbooks

Additionally, if you sell nothing but digital goods (not including services, but I suppose you could "make" services fit into this category if you know what you are doing), Google is expanding the "Google Wallet" product to allow some payment processing:

Google Wallet Instant Buy: Quick and easy payments on mobile, desktop, and in-app
    Google Wallet Objects: Digital commercial objects and stronger third party issuer-consumer relationships

Because some of these processors offer limited length free trials, I will probably be examining them closer to the drop dead date for Google Checkout. I encourage forum members to try out these services, and let us know how they work for you.

As always, I will be testing these processors for use with Ebay and my own websites, and for invoicing to clients here at Modeeworld, and will report my findings here or within tech support documents.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Braintree

So far Braintree payments has not panned out, at least not for me. I will rate them as NOT RECOMMENDED.

Their M.O. is to claim that most everyone is approved, then ask for more and more documents including ID until finally, they turn you down by claiming that some other form of processor would be better for you.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Freshbooks

This is simply an accounting type software that allows you to email invoices easily to customers. Freshbooks is not a payment processor but does integrate with processors.

AS such, Freshbooks is not of much use to us.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Shopify

I did not bother to apply for this one. This is tuned more for those who need turn-key solutions and don't know how to set up websites, shopping carts or much else.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post
          So far Braintree payments has not panned out, at least not for me. I will rate them as NOT RECOMMENDED.

Their M.O. is to claim that most everyone is approved, then ask for more and more documents including ID until finally, they turn you down by claiming that some other form of processor would be better for you.
          I re-packaged my application and was approved by Braintree
          Braintree - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
          so I rescind my NOT RECOMMENDED rating, and give them instead a qualified approval rating. There is a method to getting approved by Braintree (and any other merchant processor) that is simple, but very narrow in exactly how you must present yourself in order to get approved.

Present yourself the wrong way - get disapproved. Same person, same basic application presented correctly, approval!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

What are the updates on Braintree and what do you recommend these days for physical products on our own websites?

I don't have a SSN and I can not apply for Stripe.

I am approved for Skrill

and as usual I have multiple Paypal accounts.

Thanks. Good to be back here.

Comment

Welcome back magnificent.time! Most of the options I know of (including Braintree) require a social security number, at least if you want a U.S. processing account. Skrill is UK based so that is why they don't require SS # from non U.S. residents.

Due to reporting requirements all U.S. processors require a SS # or at least an EIN for a corporation and most require a SS # even if you supply an EIN. As you know, I do provide a tech support on getting a merchant account and having it approved by Ebay, which explores all options.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the info Modee, but lately I am no longer interested in eBay anymore. Also I am flying often to US, because I am partner in 2 companies, but I never thought of getting myself a SSN, but EIN is not a problem. Aside from these 2 companies, I just prepared an eCommerce website and I will be driving traffic using Facebook and dropshipping items, which are currently listed on Aliexpress. Process is a little bit difficult for newbies, but I am blessed to know you first at the very beginning and to get to the level where I am right now.

So, what are your best 3 options for such eCommerce websites?

Thanks a lot

Comment

I recommend National Bankcard + Authorize.net , or Braintree, but again, a social security number is needed.
                  National BankCard - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Looks like Braintree is great for European citizens like me. I will jump and request an approval with a fancy eCommerce in hand, which will be selling NON-branded products. Will report back upon my approval.

Thanks, Modee

Comment

I got approved for Braintree without any hassle around Christmas holidays. Will update you on my experience with them.

Comment

Very nice! What I love about braintree, at least I assume this is the same with the program you were approved for, is that there are NO monthly fees, no statement fees, no minimums - use them a lot, use them almost not at all, they charge you just for your usage. Lately the only time I use braintree is for manually typed in orders (phone orders).

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                        X