No announcement yet.

Phishing scam - email claims you are being served documents by a Process Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phishing scam - email claims you are being served documents by a Process Server

This one is pretty good. You receive an email with a bona fide service processor noted at the bottom, in this case San Diego Service of Process. In this case, I actually do business with this company! Even the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn links at the bottom of the email are legitimate and really go to San Diego SOP's social media pages. But, it is NOT from San Diego SOP and is a phishing scam. Click image for larger version  Name:	SOP_phishing.jpg Views:	1 Size:	472.6 KB ID:	72340

After you click on the REVIEW DOCUMENTS link, it sends you to a very legitimate looking login page for Google Documents, which requires you to enter your email address in order to review the documents. This is more or less the way Google Docs works.

I experimented with this link, using a proxy to hide my IP address, and entered some completely random email addresses and made up passwords. In each case it also asked for the "verification email" of the gmail, which is a useful piece of information (for fraudsters) to hack access your account. The pull down menu also allows entry of yahoo, AOL and other emails, which is NOT an option on a legitimate Google Documents login page. After giving them whatever email info and PW, the phishing site redirects you to the actual home page for Google Drive.

When you look at this email on an iPhone / iPad etc., you will not see the [email protected] email address - just the San Diego SOP, which makes it look very credible. The BCC does make it suspect though, also on an iPhone / iPad you will not that it was as well sent to "Undisclosed Recipients" which is a sure fire indication of a scam email, that it is sent to many. Beware!

I reported this email to SpamCop and forwarded it to the real San Diego SOP, and it has since been shut down.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support
Working...
X