Lawsuit in another country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawsuit in another country

If I am in the US how easy or difficult would it be to sue someone in Europe for copyright infringement? I know this is a complex issue with a lot of different angles, but is it a lot harder to pursue a lawsuit if the person you are suing is in another country?

Also, is it possible to file a federal civil case when the defendant is overseas?

Comment

That is a complicated question and the U.S. Supreme has grappled with the answer. Short of giving you a constitutional law discourse, which you would need to understand the whys of the matter, the answer is...Maybe. In a nutshell, after you filed the lawsuit and served the defendant (assuming you were able to do this), he could quash the whole lawsuit if he has insufficient, to put it as simply as possible, ties to or contacts with this country.

I would have to hear the entire situation and then go on with more detail than would be appropriate in this public forum to answer better than that. But put it this way - if you don't know the answer to your question, then you either need legal advice, or an attorney to handle the case.
      Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
      Modee Tech Support

Comment

So the answer is maybe. Was I right therefore that pursuing a lawsuit with someone in another country becomes much more difficult and expensive?

Comment

It's really more a question of whether you have jurisdiction over the other party or not. Time and money of course figure into the equation, but if you don't have jurisdiction (and the answer to that question can take up an entire lawsuit) you'll fail regardless.
          Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
          Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X