Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yahoo domain registration - only $1.99 for first year, but BEWARE long term costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo domain registration - only $1.99 for first year, but BEWARE long term costs

Yahoo maintains on ongoing offer - $1.99 for one year of domain registration. No ups, no extras - for the first year.

It is available only to new customers, but emulating a new customer is easy enough. Just create a new Yahoo identity (email address), and use a credit card you have not previously used with Yahoo.

Page Not Found • Namecheap.com

But - the costs go up dramatically, to $34.95 per year if you stay with Yahoo and renew.

And if you transfer to another registrar - I like GoDaddy that charges $9.99 per year, and much less if you pay for multiple years at once - you'll get hit with a domain transfer fee that will wipe out most of the savings.

So, what good is this $1.99 deal? This is good if you are trying out a new business and not certain you are going to run with it. Risking $1.99 is about nothing. If you have a lot of different domain names you are thinking of building on, the difference between risking $1.99 and $9.99 tends to add up.

So what I do, unless I am certain this is something I am going to hold long term, is pay for the $1.99 registration with Yahoo, and then transfer to GoDaddy if the proposition pans out. Keep in mind that you may not transfer immediately. You must wait 60 days, in accordance with ICANN rules

Another tip: assign a gift credit card with a low available credit to the Yahoo domain. That way, if you forget they won't be able to tag you with that absurd $34.95 renewal fee at the end of the first year.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Dammm , need some little help on this !

Just bought a good looking Template for my Online Store , have just applied with yahoo domain for 1,99 USD for the first year , but I am still wondering how am I suppose to use this new template with this domain - how am I suppose to attache it ! It can be a stupid question for you but I really don't know the answer ! Thanks in advance !

Comment

Okay, I'll assume that you know nothing about this. I may be wrong, so don't be insulted by the answer below:

Well, for starters, owning (registering) the domain does not allow you to put much on it - at most, a single page.

To put a site up, you will need to pay for hosting. There are numerous options for hosting depending on your needs, and as well, then you will need to use some program to upload (FTP) all the pieces of the website, and then something like Dreamweaver to modify the templates.

You've done a lot of tech support with me but perhaps we never covered this topic.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I don't think Yhoo offers the 1.99 domain registration any longer, at least I haven't seen the coupons lately.

But if you Google you'll find someone somewhere offering domain registration for 99 cents for one year - just beware of future costs!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X