Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects (LSOs)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects (LSOs)?

Of course, in case you do not know, one of primary ways Ebay tracks you is via COOKIES. But taking care of that issue is easy enough. Just use a browser like Firefox, set to delete cookies on each restart. If you want to do it right, set to delete browsing history, dowload history, cookies and authenticated sessions on each restart.

And then of course IP address - you must change your IP address and not log into any new EBAY or PayPal account using any IP address associated with a past suspended account of yours.
    Proxies, TOR, VPN, Hide your IP - All bad for EBAY and PayPal - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

If this sounds like gibberish to you, PM me for more details.

---

Now, FLASH OBJECTS are the latest way that EBAY and PayPal track you. For details, contact me privately. These are also known as LSOs (local shared objects):
    Local shared object - Wikipedia

Here's the definitive answer: this "new EBAY policy," has nothing to do with what PC or MAC (computer you are on). Nothing to do with MAC (Media Access Control) address. It has to do with flash objects.

Do your own research.

Go to a banking website like www.bankofamerica.com , that you use for online banking. Log in using firefox, set to delete cookies on each restart. Due to the lack of cookies, the system will tell you that it does not recognize your computer, and ask you to answer one or more of your secret questions. Prior to that it will ask you what state you are in. All this is not because it does not recognize your computer - the website has no way of knowing what computer you are using, but simply because your cookies are cleared.

The interesting thing is....

Then quit firefox, which will delete the cookies, and log in again. Although cookies are gone, this second time using firefox the website will claim to recognize your computer.

Now, this is not the first time I have logged into my bank accounts using that banking website. I've done it many times on this same computer using my Safari browser, which is not set to delete cookies. And yet, when I tried it with firefox, set to delete cookies, at least on the first try the system claimed not to recognize my computer.

So it seems that cookies have something to do with it. But then...when cookies are deleted and firefox restarted, why would the website recognize my computer the second time? After all, the cookies are still gone.

You see what I mean - if the system could truly determine what computer I am using, it would not matter what browser I am using or what cookies are present. But then, if cookies are the sole answer, then why would the website figure out what computer I am using even with cookies deleted?

One thing is clear - with cookies deleted the banking website asks every time what state I am in. So that much, it is unable to discern without cookies. So cookies are definitely part of the answer here, maybe the whole answer.

This needs more research. More data.

---

Here is what typical banking websites say about "recognizing your computer," and it does seem to imply that it is all about cookies:

Cookies

If you visit our website, we may save cookies in your computer, to identify you at the time of your next visit. With cookies, we may e.g. customize the website to meet your requirements or save your password, so that you don’t have to type it every time. If you wish to prevent us from recognizing your computer, please, configure your Internet browser to delete cookies from your hard drive, to block all cookies, or to warn you before saving any cookies.

# Re-register your computer if, to fix a problem, you must delete "cookies." Enhanced Online Security uses secure cookie technology to identify your computer. If your cookies are deleted, your computer will appear to the system as unregistered. When you try to access your online account, you'll be asked the challenge question. After successfully answering it, you can re-register your computer by going to User Options, "Enhanced Online Security," and selecting "Add extra security to this computer (Recommended)," clicking the Submit button, and selecting "OK" on the confirmation screen.

7.) When will I be asked to answer Security Questions?
    You may be required to answer a security question at various times based upon your typical online banking activity. For example, you may be asked to answer a security question when accessing the system from a different computer or if you access the system at a time that is inconsistent with your previously established usage. You may also be asked a security question after deleting the cookies in your web browser.

In the end, even if deleting cookies leads to issues with EBAY, just set aside ONE of your browsers for EBAY, and never log into your EBAY account with anything other than that one browser. Use that browser for EBAY only. If you have just one EBAY account, you will have no problems.

If you have multiple EBAY accounts, then you may need more than one browser (Safari, firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, etc.) One browser for each EBAY, dedicated to that EBAY account only and for nothing else.

There are always alternatives.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Adobe Flash Player End of Life

Local shared objects, sometimes referred to as "Flash cookies," are data files that can be created on your computer by the sites you visit. Shared objects are most often used to enhance your web-browsing experience. A website can write a cookie on your computer, and the next time you visit it will load that cookie and its information in a way that provides a more customized experience. For example, you may have asked a site to remember your login name. That information is stored in the cookie and retrieved on your next visit so that the website displays your name in the login field on the site.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

One program that works to keep the flash objects off your computer is
      OBJECTION PROJECT

I suppose if you keep changing your IP address AND delete cookies AND disable flash objects they might phone you now and then....

For now I installed Objection, nothing else. And, as noted, not sure if this add-on even is working on my MACintosh version firefox. I am also still not sure that flash objects are anything to worry about. But better safe than sorry.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Fortunately, I have just one or two EBAY accounts up at a time. And they have not been suspended in almost two years. I don't need more because I sell only about 20 items at a time. Half are under $100., other half around $3K each.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

You need to load a program called OBJECTION
          http://objection.mozdev.org/testrelease.html
          (load the latest test version, it is the best one) and delete all flash objects (LSOs) on your system, or at least the ones related to EBAY.

The flash objects related to EBAY are at least these:
          secureinclude.ebaystatic.com
          secureinclude.ebaystatic.sol
          ebayLSO.sol
          ebayT.sol

Additionally, If you have decided not to delete ALL flash objects, you should now go ahead and delete at least all PayPal flash objects. These include
          www.paypal.com
          www.paypal.com.sol
          ppLsoTest.sol

Modee Tech Support

Comment

NOTE: current versions of OBJECTION are NOT compatible with Firefox 3.5 DO NOT update to 3.5 until Objection comes up with a new version that works with FF 3.5

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Objection - new versions coming eventually

I am in regular contact with the developer. He had to scrap the new 0.4.x development because of an as yet insurmountable bug.

However, he will eventually be coming out with a new version that attacks the LSOs (flash objects) from a completely different method, and will be compatible with FF 3.5 It will be quite some time though - don't hold your breath, and if you wish to use Objection - don't upgrade to Firefox 3.5!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

cookies - changing user in windows

I read somewhere that if you change user in windows then your browser has all new cookies, which would mean you could have a different user for each of your ip addresses, can anyone verify this? Thanks

Comment

Yes, I recommend you make a seperate windows user accounts for each of you ebay/paypal accounts. Make sure to clear cookies everytime you log in to each account eventhough your using seperate windows user accounts. You'll also want to keep an eye on your ip addresses.
                  ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
                  Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
                  You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
                  Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
                  PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

yes, it is a whole new set of cookies on the other user accounts...... even if you dont clear your cookies on the previous user acct..

Comment

So I'm not understanding why you would need to clear cookies on each login if you are using different user accounts. Wouldn't it not matter?

Comment

Well I just like to be extra safe
                        ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
                        Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
                        You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
                        Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
                        PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

Working...
                        X