Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing your IP address

The basics:
    with cable modem, turn your modem off overnight, and you should get a new IP address. Some software may enable you to do this without turning the modem off.

If the new IP address does not show up overnight, wait a few days and try again. You will get a new IP address.

If you have a ROUTER (such as Airport) in the mix, the router may require some software tinkering to get it to release the old IP address and accept the new one from the modem, or you may need to disconnect the router for a while and connect the modem directly for a while, while waiting for the router to release its IP address.

Unfortunately, depending on your ISP, getting your modem or router to release its old IP address and give you a new one may involve simply turning the device on and off, OR leaving it off and disconnected for as long as several days.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Dial Up - apparently dial up gets a new IP address every time it connects but I would verify with something like
    Not Found

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I use Macintosh, but I found that setting it manually does work if you want to try that. You must know the proper entries for IP, subnet mask, router address, DNS servers, etc. - everything.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I think there is no way to permanently change your MAC address, no? Just to "spoof" it i.e. change it until the computer is restarted?

As far as getting an IP address in another town, that is proxy territory
        Proxies, TOR, VPN, Hide your IP - All bad for EBAY and PayPal - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Modee Tech Support

Comment

The only way you could reset that IP address is if you could get to whatever modem is supplying it, and turn it off overnight and of course you SHOULD never have the ability to do that. Think about it.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Sometimes much more than the last few digits change. But even a one digit change will suffice for EBAY purposes.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I don't think a second cable modem on the same account necessarily results in a different IP address. Try it and let us know. Of course you have to let the cable company know and get the modem authorized.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I had this one EBAY account going. One day I logged into it at an IP address that something like a YEAR ago, maybe eight months I had been using regularly on my old old account long suspended. And, since this was on a computer where the cookies were never cleaned and no one else EVER had logged onto EBAY on it...yes, toss that into the mix too.

Four days later...wham! suspended.

So, OH YEAH just logging into the wrong IP once can kill ya'.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

That is one way to change your ISP address - switch between DSL and cable modem at the same address - but very extreme, and costly. However, should you get suspended again, then what are you going to do?

Modee Tech Support

Comment

My experience is with cable. Believe me, it took quite some time for me to figure out how to change my IP address, because I am Macintosh and especially because I use a wireless Apple router. For whatever reason Airport does NOT like to let go of its old IP address.

So if I could overcome the issues of a router that will NOT allow the MAC address to be changed, anyone could change his IP address.

Now, how easy is it to change IP address with DSL? Can it be done? If so, then I would MAYBE advise having BOTH cable and DSL but only if:

1) You are selling so much that being down even one day (down as in suspended off EBAY), while waiting for a new IP on your cable or DSL (so you can start up with a new or backup EBAY account), will cost you some serious coin.

2) If whatever method you have now (cable or DSL) takes quite some effort and time to change IP address, as in, even more than 24 hours.

With both I suppose you could switch between one or the other in a flash, and have backup EBAY accounts ready to go created on both ISPs.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

MAC Spoofing

Yes, as I wrote above I understood that you were referring to the Media Access Control address. If you go to something like
                      Changing Your MAC Address In Window XP/Vista, Linux And Mac OS X (Sometimes known as MAC spoofing)
                      you may find the solution.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

1 - I am not the expert on AOL or dial up, but from what I understand dial up gives you a different IP address every time you connect, automatically. Some people advise writing down every IP address on each log in, because you might rotate back to one associated with a past suspended account.

So, the first thing you might want to do is figure out what IP address is associated with your suspended account.

As far as that idea of "AOL giving EBAY your IP address," I am not sure if that was ever established or just a hypothesis as to why people using AOL were going down so fast on EBAY.

Could someone with expertise on AOL address AOL questions please.

2 - Wireless USB adapter. Do you have access to wireless internet? If so, what ISP? BUT if this is someone else's ISP you are sharing, then you will not be able to change the IP address, and may harm him if you get suspended on his IP address.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

As far as cable, all of them are dynamic as far as I know.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

People get suspended from EBAY for being linked via IP address every day. IP address is a very real way that EBAY links suspended accounts with new ones. Cookies are another way too, correct there.

As far as the library thing - here's the deal: the matching IP address does set off an initial alarm bell. Now, is that ringing softened when EBAY realizes that the IP address in question is a public one? Maybe.

But anyway, once that initial match is made, EBAY then investigates further. If the accounts that logged in on that same IP address share some further qualities, then EBAY will take action and suspend.

But OBVIOUSLY EBAY is not going to suspend every person who logs in at, say, a library because one account that was on that IP was once suspended. But if further details make the match - then the shoe is going to drop.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Although there may be no system to automatically detect whether an IP is in mass use, I am sure EBAY's algorithm has implemented a check to soften the alert when, say, hundreds of accounts are created on the same IP. In other words, one way or another, EBAY does figure out that a given IP is at a library, school, etc.

Whether that alert is softened automatically, or by some T&S employee entering some code to indicate "Warning! this is a public IP, do not delete matching accounts without further checking," I am sure that they eventually get wise to all that.

Plus we had an actual EBAY employee on another forum for a while (we gave him the boot when he stopped posting and reverted to simply snooping), and he went over with us the entire checklist EBAY follows before pulling the trigger. The match from a previously suspended account and a newer one must be more than just IP.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                              X