Insider information on EBAY suspensions - how they link you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insider information on EBAY suspensions - how they link you

Evidence eBay looks for when linking accounts, as originally provided to Modee by an EBAY trust and safety employee:

These ones are pretty obvious that everyone knows/should know:

Cookies
    Flash Objects (LSOs)
    all IPs (sign in, registration, listing, etc)
    Phone #
    Date of Birth
    Name
    Address/Zip code
    Bank account / Credit Card (including names)
    Shipping information (name/address/etc)

More interesting ones:
    Linked by PayPal address, including any addresses you put in your listing, what your account is linked to, etc.
    Linked by Picture hosting domain (has to be same subdomain too, ei flikr.com/userid/)
    Linked by email addresses. This means if any of your accounts have ever tried to change an email address to the same one. So if on your old account you once tried to change it to [email protected], and then you tried to use that for a new account (successful or otherwise), it's linked.
    Similar auction format
    Similar items being sold or purchased
    Substantially similar feedback comments being left i.e. "Excellent product, fast service, very pleased" and "Great product, very fast, super happy". Those would be a strong link - IF the feedback comments are word for word the same, or close.
    Similar user IDs and/or email addresses. So like 'superfashions' and 'greatfashions' or 'toys1234' and 'toys4321', etc.
    Same pictures being used or watermark IDs.
    Registration or use vs suspension date. So if you were suspended on July 10 and created a new account on July 13. Or you started using an older (dormant) account right after you were suspended on your main account. We (eBay) usually look back 30 days for this, but some CSRs do it longer some do it shorter.
    Same password as a previous account.

EBAY also maintains a database of information given to it by snitches - other members trying to rat out their fellow members (competitors):
    EBAY uses snitches to suspend members - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Those are all/most of the links eBay uses. They have to be used in various combinations with each other of course. One link isn't strong enough by itself. There is a department which handles high fraud suspensions which don't have to adhere to these proofs and can basically use whatever they want. But this dept. is reserved for high fraud accounts/accounts linked to them (by higher fraud I mean accounts with thousands/hundreds of thousands of feedback that may start or has started scamming people).
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

I think they worry about the url on images if hosted on your own server. They are not picking apart whether it is the exact same url as before, if from some generic hosting like imageshack, etc.

How do I know this? Because I stopped re-uploading images (got lazy) long ago, and if that were what gets you busted I would have been taken down already.

Keep in mind that your list of BLOCKED BUYERS can be an issue too...don't carry this over from one account to another.

Note also what's not there: anything to do with EMAILs. As I have been saying all along, opening EBAY emails amounts to nothing. No risk.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

What I am talking about is stuff like imageshack, etc.

On these their system pretty much just makes up a new URL for each image.

For example one could be
      htt p ://img45.imageshack.us/img45/2135/chinlogo3.gif
      and from my same account the next one could be
      http ://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2346/abstermachine8.jpg

I don't believe the img # or the four digit # afterwards are unique to me or my account. So, unless some anal EBAY T&S is keeping track of the EXACT url I posted before, there is no way to link. And even then - who's to say I didn't just steal the link from the guy before.

Sometimes I get busy and re-upload all the images so that there is not even a way to link me from the exact same URL, but I have not found that to make a bit of difference in terms of my account longevity.

PLUS it depends on the pictures. I run two accounts simultaneously right now - one is merchant account one is PayPal, and for certain auction images that are stand out, I make certain there is no overlap. But for generic images lifted off the internet, I don't even bother.

I used to be really strict about this and make certain that no hosted images within my auction listings or auction main + gallery images were identical to previous ones, but I don't even bother anymore
      Ebay Tracking via pictures - reusing the same pictures / images in listings?
      and haven't had an account suspended in over a year. So, while yes pictures CAN get you busted, it is low on the totem pole of items EBAY uses to link you, apparently. It comes down to how much time you want to spend on re-creating the new account, and whether it really matters.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Just use imageshack, EBAY does not trace back. Review this thread in its entirety for more info.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Also see

Having same password and security questions can lead to linking of your EBAY accounts
          Having same password or security questions can lead to linking of your EBAY accounts - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

AND: the latest, greatest: flash objects:
          Recognizing your computer via cookies? IP? Flash Objects (LSOs)? - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I wonder if your search history can somehow be used to link you. By this I mean the items you search for and the key words used in searches.

Comment

Based on information I have reviewed in subpoenas of EBAY accounts, I would say no.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Also keep in mind Ebay messages - that if you respond to these via EMAIL, that Ebay may be logging your IP address:
                EBAY Messages - no longer able to hide email address? Ebay anonymizing emails? - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Help!

With my Sisters permission, can I sign into her Ebay account from my computer with a different IP address to help with her sales?

Comment

You must consider whether other factors besides IP address will get you linked.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Can you use the same paypal account if you change the email address or will paypal give the bank and user info to ebay?

Comment

You asked this same question elsewhere, and the answer remains the same:

No you may not do that, they have been sharing more and more information since Ebay bought PayPal in 2002. You may never use that PayPal with any Ebay again, unless you want that Ebay suspended just like the original Ebay that was linked to that PayPal was suspended.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                        X