Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PayPal disputes - timing to shut buyers out - and tips on how best to work disputes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal disputes - timing to shut buyers out - and tips on how best to work disputes

Keep in mind PayPal's policy of time limits for opening disputes:

A buyer has 45 days after the date of the payment to open a dispute.
    A dispute can be escalated to a claim within 20 days from when the dispute was filed.
    Buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received, unless the dispute is for $2,500 USD or the equivalent or more.
    If the dispute is not escalated to a claim within 20 days, we'll close the dispute. A closed dispute cannot be reopened or escalated to a PayPal claim.
    When the 20-day deadline is approaching, we will remind you by email and in the "Resolution Center."

So the key date is 45 days from when the buyer paid you with PayPal. Some international shipments, especially if 1st Class Mail, can take longer than 45 days. If your buyer starts complaining at, say, a month - try to keep him happy and tell him you are researching matters. If he asks you to send another item, tell him you are trying to obtain one for him.

What you want to avoid is a claim when you have already shipped the item. The buyer can end up with your money AND your product if you are not careful.
    Paypal disputes process changing for Ebay sellers? - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Once the 45 day period passes, there can be no further dispute or claim, at least not through PayPal. (The buyer can still try a credit card chargeback for up to 60 days past the day when he received his credit card statement, but PayPal frowns on chargebacks and might close his PayPal account if he tries something like that.)

(And of course - if a buyer initiates a dispute and does NOT escalate to a claim right away, keeping him happy for 20 days will shut him out of the ability to do anything to you either.)

Also - keep in mind the 60 day feedback rule - the clock starts ticking from the day the auction closed. If you can keep the buyer happy for at least those 60 days, you will be home free from any negative feedback repercussions.

You can use this
    Date Calculator: Find Your Date
    to calculate the exact day.

BUT - keep in mind- for some odd reason EBAY tends to give the buyers up to one additional day to leave feedback. So, 61 days might be the more correct rule for feedback cut off.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

In order to restore my account, PayPal told me I had to refund a few claims that had been filed past the 45 day mark. I didn't see the information in my account, but PP sent me a list of disputes that were outstanding.

Does this mean that the buyers did a chargeback with their CC company?

Comment

Not necessarily. If a chargeback were pending you would be specifically advised.

Also, the fact that they mention that 45 day mark means that the disputes were filed within PayPal's own system. The 45 day deadline applies to PayPal disputes. Credit card chargebacks may be filed within 60 days of receipt of the statement, although for fraud, it can be filed up to six months (sometimes even longer) after the charge is made.

This is a good to know - that in some circumstances PayPal disputes may be filed more than 45 days after the transaction. Obviously, those circumstances are where the seller's account has been limited.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

PayPal disputes - how to work them in your favor

When you receive a dispute, of course, upload all the information you can. There are certain techniques also that are invaluable that cannot be discussed here, but in tech support.

At the end of the day however, after you have submitted, uploaded, FAXed all of your proof - GET ON THE PHONE WITH PAYPAL and TALK to them. I have had more than a few disputes where the buyer was claiming non-receipt or not as described and I couldn't even provide online tracking information because it was an international 1st Class Mail shipment, and yet, before the phone call was even over, PayPal had already pushed the button and decided in my favor.

DO NOT discount the power of verbal persuasion. It's usually harder for someone to say No to you when you are engaging them in conversation, versus after a cold and often impersonal email.

Yes, the written word is important too, but use your pen wisely. And your spoken word.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

PayPal disputes - how to work them in your favor - get on the PHONE with PayPal

When you receive a dispute, of course, upload all the information you can. There are certain techniques also that are invaluable that cannot be discussed here, but in tech support.

At the end of the day however, after you have submitted, uploaded, FAXed all of your proof - GET ON THE PHONE WITH PAYPAL and TALK to them. I have had more than a few disputes where the buyer was claiming non-receipt or not as described and I couldn't even provide online tracking information because it was an international 1st Class Mail shipment, and yet, before the phone call was even over, PayPal had already pushed the button and decided in my favor.

DO NOT discount the power of verbal persuasion. It's usually harder for someone to say No to you when you are engaging them in conversation, versus after a cold and often impersonal email.

Yes, the written word is important too, but use your pen wisely. And your spoken word.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I bought a pair of counterfeit headphones.

Hi, I recently bought a pair of Pioneer Headphones from seller. In the ad he claims they are pioneer, exact model and number I needed, the price wasnt one of those "too good to be true" so I trusted him based on his good feedback history. However he didnt specifically address that they are authentic of counterfeit replicas. He claims that paypal and ebay will rule in his favor based on that he didnt specifically say that they are real in his listing, then accuses me that im trying to scam him so I can keep these garbage knock-offs.

I've opened a claim with paypal to get my money back, however this seller keeps sending me emails accusing me of scamming him and openly admitting that he is selling counterfeits multiple times.

From what I understand this claim is a pretty cut and dry with paypal that will end in my favor.

Because this guy keeps harrassing me, what other legal actions could i take against him?

Should I report him directly to Pioneer USA?, or a government agency?

The box he mailed me has his address and his "company" name on it.

Comment

This is a good post for sellers to consider - the other side of the coin of what goes through a buyer's mind when he feels that he has been wronged with counterfeit goods.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Well, He's sold a total of 5 pairs of those, (one of which ended up in my hands). I've reported the listing to ebay as counterfeit. he currently has 2 other items listed. Through google those 2 items he listed are known to have many counterfeits as well, and hes priced them at half the MSRP.

I really would like to see his account get suspended to say the least.

Comment

well, chances are that he won't last too long....too many negative feedbacks + paypal disputes only equals one thing these days.

I get this from time to time, but cut my losses and offer either a full or partial refund to avoid my accounts being disturbed.

I always wonder how good a business you could make for yourself by knowing the buying/selling rules and also the phycology that goes into maintaing a precious ebay/paypal account combo. Ripping people off aint that hard these days on ebay, I know it has happened to me and you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

True you can always start a new account again, but building up solid accounts takes time and a lot of effort, and to see a good account go down is hard to take both mentally and financially.

Comment

Working...
                  X