Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I closed my Significantly not as described dispute, now chargeback may be only hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I closed my Significantly not as described dispute, now chargeback may be only hope

I am the Buyer in this dispute. I bought something off EBAY. I got upset and filed a Significantly not as Described dispute.

However, the seller told me he would refund my money, so I dropped the PayPal dispute.

Well now it has been three days and no refund. I am wondering if I should do a credit card chargeback, and if I do, what will happen to my PayPal account. Thank you.
    Last edited by victorian; 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM. Reason: mistake

I just want my money back. I shipped the item I bought back to the seller.
    Last edited by victorian; 08-19-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Check out these threads:
      Buyer opened a dispute and still has the product - PayPal may reverse payment - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
      PayPal Chargeback where the buyer withdraws the complaint - crooked PayPal! - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
      so that you will understand what might be going through the buyer's head - that she is worried you will still do a chargeback even if she refunds via PayPal.

The deal with PayPal is that it HATES chargebacks. In fact, if you examine closely your PayPal Terms of Service, the rules will state that you, as a PayPal account holder, will NOT do a chargeback and will handle all disputes through PayPal (at a minimum - the rules are, if you do a chargeback, you get no PayPal Buyer Protection Policy). Now, I suppose the question you have is: what will PayPal do to my account if I do a chargeback?

The answer lies in what you mention about leaving the account in the red. If you leave the PP account in the red, and PayPal is left holding the bag, PP will probably shut you down permanently. If however PayPal ends up losing nothing, they might record a strike against your account for not playing by the rules but you won't know about it because the end result will be nothing.

In the future, keep in mind that (unfortunately for us sellers), PayPal typically sides with EBAY buyers when it comes to significantly not as described disputes.
      PayPal on EBAY versus PayPal on your own website - Buyer Protection Policy - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
      I also would advise against returning the item before the PayPal dispute is decided. Yes, returning the item can sometimes force the decision in the buyer's favor, but you can also sometimes be left stuck with no product and no refund.

I'll be honest - speaking as a good EBAY seller - if a buyer deals with me in good faith I will allow the return of the item without the necessity of any PayPal dispute. In fact, once you the buyer have opened a PayPal dispute I will dig in my heels and give you nothing UNLESS PayPal rules against me. And the worst thing you can do is give me the seller a negative feedback. Once you do that, I have nothing to lose and I won't refund you a penny unless I am forced to do it.
      Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
      Modee Tech Support

Comment

I don't think I did anything wrong. I think the seller is in the wrong.
        Last edited by victorian; 08-19-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

I'm an advocate. If you hire me for tech support I will fight for your side.

But in order for you to prevail, you must understand as well the point of view of the seller, and what will entice him to refund you and what will simply drive him to shine you on.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

fraudulent chargebacks?

Originally posted by Modee View Post
            Check out these threads:
            Originally posted by Modee View Post
            Buyer opened a dispute and still has the product - PayPal may reverse payment - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
            PayPal Chargeback where the buyer withdraws the complaint - crooked PayPal! - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
            so that you will understand what might be going through the buyer's head - that she is worried you will still do a chargeback even if she refunds via PayPal.

The deal with PayPal is that it HATES chargebacks. In fact, if you examine closely your PayPal Terms of Service, the rules will state that you, as a PayPal account holder, will NOT do a chargeback and will handle all disputes through PayPal (at a minimum - the rules are, if you do a chargeback, you get no PayPal Buyer Protection Policy). Now, I suppose the question you have is: what will PayPal do to my account if I do a chargeback?

The answer lies in what you mention about leaving the account in the red. If you leave the PP account in the red, and PayPal is left holding the bag, PP will probably shut you down permanently. If however PayPal ends up losing nothing, they might record a strike against your account for not playing by the rules but you won't know about it because the end result will be nothing.

In the future, keep in mind that (unfortunately for us sellers), PayPal typically sides with EBAY buyers when it comes to significantly not as described disputes.

PayPal on EBAY versus PayPal on your own website - Buyer Protection Policy - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
            I also would advise against returning the item before the PayPal dispute is decided. Yes, returning the item can sometimes force the decision in the buyer's favor, but you can also sometimes be left stuck with no product and no refund.

I'll be honest - speaking as a good EBAY seller - if a buyer deals with me in good faith I will allow the return of the item without the necessity of any PayPal dispute. In fact, once you the buyer have opened a PayPal dispute I will dig in my heels and give you nothing UNLESS PayPal rules against me. And the worst thing you can do is give me the seller a negative feedback. Once you do that, I have nothing to lose and I won't refund you a penny unless I am forced to do it.

I was the victim of a fraudulent chargeback, I won the PayPal dispute but AMEX refuses to return my money, this in spite of the fact that I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the buyer got the goods, emailed me that she was satisfied and procedded to order from me 2 more times, then out of no where she files a chargeback and they withdraw $217.54 from my PayPal account. I have filed with every fraud agency, my local sheriffs office, hers, scamraiders.com, ripoff reports.com, consumer affairs.com.... you get the picture. Now it's time to take her to small claims court. I cannot believe how easy it is for people to call their credit card company and say, Ï am not satisfied" This woman is a common thief. She got the goods, the shipping free and the money. I then lost my eBay account and only source of income because I exposed her on ripoff reports. They said it was against their policy that I took this to another site. They were not interested in what she did, she is still selling on eBay, still has her PayPal account and I am out in the cold. I wish someone could tell me how this can happen. More importantly I would love for someone that works in eBays trust and safety dept. explain to me how this happened.
            Last edited by Pamyjo1951; 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

That is interesting that EBAY shut you down for complaining to an outside agency. Complaints to outside agencies are part of what I use to bring EBAY and PayPal to their knees when advocating for clients in tech support.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X