Immigration with criminal record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration with criminal record

I have one conviction for criminal damage. Will this give me problems with immigration to become a resident?

This is an extremely complex area of the law, and it depends on the exact conviction, how long ago, the length of sentence and other factors. I am an expert on this, but could not even begin to answer without all that information.

Probably this is a private matter and you would need tech support for this.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

I was convicted a year ago of criminal damage and fined 1000. I cut a wheel clamp off my car after it had been clamped. No prison sentence, just the one conviction for criminal damage. From what I can understand on the ESTA this counts as a crime of moral turpitude. Are my chances of obtaining residency not great when I marry my partner in Arizona? I understand the US has an almost blanket ban on anybody entering the country who has been arrested or convicted, is this true?

Comment

Eskrima, the answer is complicated. It depends on what your legal status is right now (or if you are in illegal status, due to an overstay of a nonimmigrant visa), whether or not you entered the country legally, whether you have U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident dependents (such as your spouse), within how many years of arrival your crime occurred, and some other factors.

There are no simple answers in U.S. immigration law unfortunately.

It has now been almost three years since your conviction, correct? Contact me for tech support on this issue.
        Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
        Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X