Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paypal and an LLC - may I be held personally liable for the debts of my corporation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal and an LLC - may I be held personally liable for the debts of my corporation?

I started a web-based business about two years ago. It's completely part-time, and it doesn't really make any money, but I get a decent size tax write off that keeps me from being disqualified for financial aid (I'm a full-time student). I use a Paypal business account for my payment processing, and have done everything through my LLC's EIN.

Here's my issue: suddenly I've almost tripled my normal sales of gear that I sell from a local supplier. I've never had a high complaint/chargeback rate, however I'm running about a week behind and, instead of waiting for an e-mail response (which I do within 24 hours unless it's the weekend), they do a chargeback. Not a complete big deal, however I haven't had any for this month and suddenly I had 5 within 24 hours. 3 of which I refunded instantly, 1 of which had already been shipped, and the last one I don't think was a chargeback - said something asking what they bought and where they asked me to ship it - though they still held the funds.

Today I went to buy product to find out my card was declined. I got home and logged on to paypal and found out my account was restricted. I clicked on the resolution center and it asked me to do a bunch of stuff, some of which I didn't quite understand so I called them. They want me to confirm MY social security number, provide proof of delivery for my last 5 items sold, provide supplier contact info, and provide invoices of supply for the last 6 months. This isn't really a problem but, now I can't buy any product and I can't ship any either (shipping manager is restricted as well). So now they want proof of shipment for the last 5 items sold (which I can't buy or ship), and it will take over a week before it's resolved. By then, I'll have a lot more chargebacks and this whole venture becomes more of a headache than a part-time business.

All of that said, here is my question - what is the liability of just saying "eff it"? I feel that paypal has effectively (if only temporarily) shut down my website so if I were to decide to give up and let paypal deal with the repercussions involved, what personal liability do I have if I had set it up through an LLC? There is money in the account, but not enough to settle all of the chargebacks. Now I would explain to all the customers the situation and let them know how to deal with it, however, I don't want Paypal trying to sue or attacking my credit personally. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

One of the primary purposes of entities such as LLCs and corporations is to eliminate personal liability. Now, the reason PP is asking for your SS # is probably because your LLC has no corporate credit record. You are actually lucky that you got this far without providing it, because PayPal rarelt accepts an EIN in lieu of a social security number. But this has nothing to do with your underlying question about whether you could end up liable personally for debts of your LLC. Supplying your personal SS # does not put you on the hook personally UNLESS PayPal's Terms of Service state that you will become a personal guarantor for any debts incurred.

So back to your question about whether you could get personally stuck for the LLC's debts: It is black letter law that for the most part absent fraud or that the entity is a sham (the alter ego theory - that the corporation is nothing more than a front for a single individual) the corporate veil of protection may not be pierced.

If you want to get into this topic deeper, and analyze your specifics, I suggest tech support.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X