EDD PUA Employment Development Department Pandemic Unemployment Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDD PUA Employment Development Department Pandemic Unemployment Assistance

I have also been helping clients with EDD PUA claims - these are for the self employed (not W-2 paid) workers and independent contractors whose income has been affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Payments for this unemployment assistance stem from the CARES Act.
    Just a moment...

Essentially, you attest that your self employment has been affected by the pandemic, and you will then receive automatically at least $167. per week (up to a maximum of $450. per week in California - if your income in 2019 was over $46,696.), PLUS, for the periods from April 4 to July 25, 2020 (this may be extended to the end of the year based on pending bills in Congress), an extra $600. per week from the federal government.

(Note: if you receive any kind of public assistance, whether this extra $600. per week will count for purposes of program eligibility depends on the program: yes, for SNAP, no for Medi-Cal.)

If your self-certified income for the prior year (2019) is $17,368. or less, you will not be asked to verify anything - if above, you will eventually be asked for verification such as 1099s or tax returns to substantiate your income in order to receive the greater than $167. per week PUA.

In California, the time from application to approval of your claim varies from two days to three weeks.

Once your claim is approved, usually for the statutory maximum of $6513 (39 weeks X $167. per week - this $6513. does not include the extra $600. per week from the federal government), you must certify at least that you looked for work each week, unless you were too sick.

From certification to approval takes anywhere from a day:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FastPay_EDD_6_8_2020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.1 KB ID:	94799

to weeks without action:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SlowCertify_EDD_6_8_2020 redact.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.4 KB ID:	94800

with corresponding slow payment (this client has been waiting weeks both for certification and payment although her claim has been approved):

Click image for larger version  Name:	SlowPay_EDD_6_8_2020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.9 KB ID:	94801

but eventually you will be paid:

Click image for larger version  Name:	EDD_paymentssent_redact.jpg Views:	0 Size:	290.7 KB ID:	94802

Be aware that any side work or payments, even as little as a couple hundred dollars a week may disqualify you for benefits - and these benefits are substantial, when you factor in the extra $600. per week:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ExcessiveEarn_EDD_6_8_2020 redact.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.4 KB ID:	94803

I am an expert in getting government aid - loans, grants, contracts, all that. Hire me for tech support if you need help.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

When stuck in "pending certification" phoning the EDD is usually a waste of time. During this coronavirus pandemic there is no one there to answer your questions, assuming you are even able to get through.

Here is someone who was stuck in pending certification for 8 weeks until hired me to deal with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8WeeksPendingCertification redact.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.2 KB ID:	94798

One solution is to file an Appeal Form DE1000M
    https://edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1000m.pdf
    - use it to appeal the fact that your claim has been approved but you have not yet been paid. This WILL get you a phone call from the EDD, within a week or so. Be sure to answer the call!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

PUA and PEUC claims have been extended through April 2021. If you have a PUA or PEUC claim that expired end of 2020, do not reopen the claim. Just wait for this glitch to clear, or try to get EDD customer service to clear it.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Reopen Your Claim.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	96356

Modee Tech Support

Comment

As far as ID.ME verification, which is being done to some applicants, once you complete the process either with static images or via a video conference call, you must go back to the original message sent within your EDD account, click on the link there, log back into your ID.ME account via the EDD portal and click to ALLOW access to the EDD for your ID.ME verified data. Until you do this, your ID.ME verification will remain pending at the EDD side.

Thereafter, once you login to your ID.ME you should see the access under My Activity

Name:	IDME-EDDAccess_allowed.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	96633

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Clients have been asking me...do NOT file a new unemployment (e.g. California EDD) claim if:
          1. You are collecting on a PUA claim.
          2. Regardless of what kind of claim under which you are collecting (including PEUC) unless you have W-2 wages for the past 18 months (for 2020).

Name:	EDD_reapply_rules.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	97112

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X