Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay's fees as of April 2010 - 9% Final Value Fee on auctions - worse on fixed price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay's fees as of April 2010 - 9% Final Value Fee on auctions - worse on fixed price

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, Ebay has gone from charging 3 - 5% on all ebay.com auctions, to a flat 9%.
    Selling fees

About the only saving grace is the $50. maximum.

Even this "special deal"
    Ebay "no insertion fee" auctions - good or bad deal? HOW TO LOWER your Ebay fees now - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
    is over now it seems.

Currently, insertion fees are not even charged on the first 100 listings, but all auction style listings pay this HEFTY nine percent fee.

Crazy! If Ebay can't make money charging 9%, it might as well close up shop and go away.

By way of comparison, Christie's charges sellers 2 - 20% (used to be a flat 10%), but also charges buyers an average of fifteen percent just for buying!
    Christie's Is Changing Its Fees in Face of Suits and U.S. Investigation (Published 2000)
    Keep in mind though that Christie's provides full service and sells your high end goods to very high end buyers.

Ebay provides not much service and exposes you to the bottom of the world's barrel when it comes to bargain hungry cheapskates, er, I mean buyers. Still, for a lot of goods, Ebay remains the best game in town and I continue to sell there heavily, although I also sell quite a lot on my own websites.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Fixed price format auctions

So over here
    Fees for selling on eBay
    for FIXED PRICE FORMAT auctions:

you can see that for inexpensive (under fifty dollar) items, the rates range from 8% - 15%
    (8% for elecronics, 12% for clothing, shoes and accessories; 15% for books, dvds, movies, music, video games; and back to 12% for everything else).

So for cheaper items the most you would save over auction format is one percent (8% versus 9%), and in many cases you would pay even more (up to WOW! 15%).

But for more expensive items, especially items between 50 - 1000, you would save a bit on items priced around say $200. versus the auction format. On such items the auction fees are the same as the above for the first $50., but less - 5 - 9% of the remaining amount to $1000.

EXAMPLE:

You sell an item for $200. with auction (no reserve, starting price a penny, for example). You pay 9% or $18. (no listing fee if it is among the first 100 items you sell that month).

Or, you sell this $200. item fixed price, you would pay 8% on the first $50., which is $4. plus 5% of the remaining $150. which is $7.50 for a total of $11.50

So you can see, that for items that go to about $500. you would save a lot of money on the fixed price auctions versus bidding regular auctions.

But due to the maximum fifty dollar fee in auctions, anything over about athousand would cost you less in the bidding auction format.

The bottom line being - that Ebay has gotten VERY expensive. So if you are wondering why your monthly bills at Ebay seem to be so high lately, this is why!
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

As long as the inventory moves then I'm happy with ebay. It is the FASTEST marketplace to move your products, bar none.
      ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
      Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
      You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
      Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
      PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

Working...
      X