Changing your IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recommend these two:
    What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...
    and
    IP Address Geolocation to Country City Region Latitude Longitude ZIP Code ISP Domain Name Timezone NetSpeed IDD Country Code Area Code Weather Station Code Weather Station Name Database for Developers | IP2Locationâ„¢

because they include the crucial information you need to determine not only your IP address, but also
    1) whether proxy is detected
    2) whether conflicting locations are coming up for you

Try them out. With many ISPs these will return two different locations for you.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

I run two EBAY accounts usually. I don't really have a need for more than two. One is PayPal authorized, and that PayPal has bypassed all limitations including the SS request one, so it is solid.

But I also run another, pre 11/2007, account that is authorized for merchant account ONLY status.

For the PayPal one, which is the one I use the most lately actually (getting lazy, and Ebay buyers do feel most comfortable paying with stupid PayPal), I run it off cable modem + wireless router (in this case, an Airport time capsule). When you run your computer via most routers (and especially Airport), it tends to get stuck on the same IP address. For my purposes, this is good.

So, unless I leave that router unplugged and disconnected for nearly a week, as long as that router is in the mix, I always get the same IP address.

Then for the other account, I manually disconnect the ethernet cable between the modem and router, and connect the computer directly to the modem. In all cases I will get a different IP address from the one the router has latched on to all these months, and in most cases I get a different IP address I have never seen before.

Of course, for safety, I maintain a log of every log in IP address.

This morning I got a scare as I noticed that one of my Airport routers in a far end of the house was flashing amber - which means no connection. I started to think - wow did I forget to go back to the modem + router configuration before I logged back into my PayPal based Ebay?

Of course it turned out that all was well - Modee is a creature of habit and did not make that mistake. I'll just have to restart the different Airports I have around the house and get them to relatch onto the network.

BUT IT JUST GOES TO SHOW - you must be careful if you wish to run multiple Ebay accounts. And just VERY CAREFUL PERIOD about IP address. One slip up - you're linked for life.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

i can easily change my ip (just need to switch my router/modem off for 10 seconds and voila!).

But my question is , when i got to the following sites with my "new" ip, they both show different info.
        whatismyipaddress.com
        IP Address Geolocation to Country City Region Latitude Longitude ZIP Code ISP Domain Name Timezone NetSpeed IDD Country Code Area Code Weather Station Code Weather Station Name Database for Developers | IP2Locationâ„¢

My I2L location is London, UK.

My actual location is Birmingham, UK and Lichfield is in Birmingham.

If I get a new IP, then
        WIMI - Walsall, UK (again another place in birmingham)
        I2L - Liverpool, UK

And,
        both show my ISP correctly, each and everytime.

My Question

If I open a new ebay/paypal account with this "new" IP, new AVS VCC, etc will they be able to link me.
        Also the usual stuff like cookies, flash, etc will be taken care of as advised here.
        I already have a 6-year old ebay and paypal account, both of which r active.

FWIW - I considered paid support but since i found out your list was long, i figured someone will reply here more quickly. Futhermore, its relevant to this post.

@ Mods - Please dont change my username. I hope to be very active here and I think it will be amusing.

EDIT - Oh, btw, if it does work, i.e. they wont be able to track/link me, will it be good to use another UK proxy on top of the new ip. I know ebay/pp WILL detect proxies but even if they do and find out that the hidden ip is UK based and has not been used to create/linked another account, will they just warn me and ask me to stop it or kill my account. Maybe proxies arent worth it?
        Last edited by PayPal; 09-06-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Proxies:
          Proxies, TOR, VPN, Hide your IP - All bad for EBAY and PayPal - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

If you enter your IP address into different "whatismyIP" type websites you will often obtain a slightly different location. This doesn't matter for purposes of what you are alluding to. The number of the IP address is what is used to link you between Ebay, PayPal, Google Checkout, Amazon, etc. accounts.

So, if the IP address of the old account is 87.892.89.8 and the new one is 87.892.89.7 that one digit change is all that matters in most cases (unless of course you have stiffed PayPal for money and left the account in the red, in which case a small change in IP address will not be enough and will still get you linked - but that is a highly technical, not so usual scenario which varies from case to case, and person to person depending on the facts and circumstances).

Anyway, to summarize: IP linking is done by the numbers - nothing else matters.

But, I think what you might be getting at is whether the geographic location to which the IP address refers back to matters. Yes, it does matter - but not so much for linking purposes (at least not directly - and again, this is where you would need tech support to understand more about exactly how EBAY and PayPal link accounts). It matters because, to summarize the rule, if your geographic location supplied via your registered account address is too far from the location determined by your IP address, your account will be flagged and possibly suspended.

So, how far, is too far? Well, again, this depends on where you live and whether any state or country boundaries are at issue. For example, in the U.S., Ebay pretty much allows about a 100 to 150 mile leeway, IF this does not involve crossing state lines, AND it involves the larger states. So in the U.S., your account could be registered in one city in Texas or California and you might always log in from some other city a 100 miles away in the same state. Ebay will not care, especially if this is a business account (which is the form of accounts I recommend for everyone in tech support).

But then, if you are in a small state like Rhode Island or even New York, and that 100 miles puts you in another state or even county, that might cause issues. Or if you are in a small European country and those 100 miles put you in another country, that also could be a big problem.

The factors that link accounts and proper account creation are touched upon on this forum. This forum is where you will get all the basics. But the real information you need to create untraceable and unlinkable new EBAY + PayPal accounts is covered in tech support, which included my nearly 100 page long Short List of detailed information on how to properly create accounts so that they will stay up. I also include, for UK clients, information on how to overcome the PayPal telephone confirmation.

You would not want all of the details posted publicly, because then "they" could review this information and figure out how to beat us. I am more than a few steps ahead of Ebay and PayPal, and you will want me to stay that way, which is why the best and most useful information should always be kept private.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post
            You would not want all of the details posted publicly, because then "they" could review this information.
            +1
            FWIW, this forum already has golden info available to anyone for free. I would advise every newbie to just read Modee's posts to start with.
            I was at talkgold and though its got good basic info but its nothing compared to this.
            Very well maintianed IMO as well.
            Modee, do u have 30 hours in a day?

Comment

lol I try, I try.

Thank you.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Using a netbook

Hi, I'm just curious if getting a new netbook to use just for eBay (for a new eBay account) would bypass the IP address/cookies problem.

Since it has its own internet connection, is there any way they could trace it back? It seems too easy, but since no one else mentioned it, I thought I should ask before I go buy one.

Comment

If you mean a new laptop (netbook) this has absolutely nothing to do with the IP address. Using a different computer but same internet connection will not change the IP address.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Using mobile Broadband

I meant but didn't say using a mobile broadband card (in the netbook) to connect to the internet instead of your cable modem.

Wouldn't this give you a new IP address?

Comment

If the log you keep (which is something you must do) shows that your new IP address is different from one ever used before, then you will know that you have a new IP address.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by kellydch View Post
                        I meant but didn't say using a mobile broadband card (in the netbook) to connect to the internet instead of your cable modem.

Wouldn't this give you a new IP address?
                        Using a cellular connection, when you disconnect and reconnect there is a 99% chance you will have a new IP.

Keeping a log is a must! With a dynamic IP, and due to the law of large numbers, you are destined to repeat an ip eventually, but the odds of this happening are very high.

With a cellular connection, sometimes you need to be careful of the ip location. ebay doesn't geo locate unless you're doing something bad, but it's still something to think about.

Set IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! to your home address, and you can see your ip every time you open your web browser.

Comment

In general I don't like to use a cell phone for logging into my accounts. First of all, these little things, even iPhones, just don't provide a big enough screen to carefully keep track of what you are doing. You are bound to make mistakes in the process.

Another issue is that if your log of IP addresses used is back at home on your desktop, you won't be able to update it instantly every time you log in on a cell phone. So now you have two different logs going, and unless you are very meticulous to update one master list, you may make mistakes.

And yes, IP addresses do recur - just the other week finally an IP address I was using for one of my other Ebay accounts recurred when I restarted my modem, and I had to wait until a new one was issued or else the two Ebays would have become linked.

Now, if you are using your cell phone to get your IP address and connecting that to your laptop or desktop (tethering), that is one thing, but again, unless you really know what you are doing, the smallest screen I would tackle Ebay and PayPal on, is a laptop.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I would never login from the cell phone directly. I've used my blackberry as a modem for my laptop, and on top of that I have a dedicated connection card, which is a cellular modem, basically. I've used it for years without any issues. And all it takes to reset the ip is to disconnect and reconnect from the network.

Comment

ISP help

Hello....new here but I do have a question.

I have moved to a new address, I am using the same computer and the same internet provider. Will I have the same ISP or would it be different now. I use a cable modem.

Thanks.

Comment

The threads above discuss this in detail. You sound like a perfect candidate for tech support. Contact Modee.

Comment

Working...
                                X