Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tether internet ready phone to laptop for new IP FAST...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tether internet ready phone to laptop for new IP FAST...

I see that we don't have a topic on this yet, so I thought I would post a little information about how I avoid ebay tracking.

I currently use a third-party listing app to post listing, so I don't have to login to ebay very often. I only really need to login to pay bills or handle something in the resolution center.

When i do; I tether my laptop to my G1, and use the cell phone's internet connection. Internet ready phones are able to refresh their IP address by simply resetting the device. Thus, acting like a dialup connection. With the 3G service that is out now and the 4G service on the horizon, connection speed is getting closer to WiFi in most areas.

The only downfall is losing your connection. Some days when it's cloudy, I get a few dropped connections. I generally just click back, and reselect the link I needed. As I said; i don't login directly to ebay much, so this works for me.

For more infomation on tethering, please checkout the following sites:
    G1: Tetherbot or Android Unleashed: Tether Your Android G1 to Your Laptop or PC with Tetherbot
    iPhone: Lifehacker - The Best Way to Tether Your iPhone to Your Laptop (for Free) - Laptops
    ***With the iPhone, you will also need to jail break the phone. Links for this can be found @ lifehacker also.***

Happy Tethering

Also I would imagine you have to keep an especially careful log of all IP addresses, because you could get rotated back to one you already used on a different account.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

also your 3rd party listing program will communicate your IP when listing. all the program will do it connect to eBay and list - it's the same as logging in yourself and listing directly through eBay.

i use a Mac program and contacted the company before i used it. they said that IP's will be communicated when listing so i still have to be very careful with user accounts and IP's.

PS - what 3rd party program are you using?

Comment

No as far as I know, auctiva for example does not communicate the IP address when listing.
        Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
        Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post
          Also I would imagine you have to keep an especially careful log of all IP addresses, because you could get rotated back to one you already used on a different account.
          I do keep a detailed log, and haven't yet had a duplicate. The first two sets of IP numbers have never changed (123.456), but the second two sets change on demand. Although; with the tethering being on a very popular network in my city, IPs are being recycled every second.

I sometimes check my messages with just my phone, so when Flash gets released for the phone I'll need to figure out how to clean out the objects.

Or just never install it.

As for 3rd party listing...
          There are some that show your originating IP, but Auctiva does NOT.

Edit: When you first setup the Auctiva account, you will need a "stealth" IP for the token request. When you sync your eBay account from Auctiva, you will be asked to login to eBay. At this moment, your IP will be shown to eBay for a split second.

Last edited by SevnSins; 05-19-2009, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X