Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VOIP - MagicJack does NOT work to enter extension numbers or voicemail passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOIP - MagicJack does NOT work to enter extension numbers or voicemail passwords

In the U.S., VOIP is an option for Ebay and PayPal phone verification.

What is VOIP?
    What is VOIP? Meaning & Voice Over IP Technology - VoIP-Info

An example of VOIP would be Magic Jack
    VoIP Phone Service | Internet Home Phone Service Provider | magicJack

In the U.S. VOIP should be no problem. But in some countries, PayPal will not allow VOIP because the directory assistance tends to come back to some state far away from where you are claiming to be. For this reason unless you know for a fact that the VOIP service you wish to use has worked for Ebay and PayPal account creation, I advise AGAINST using any kind of VOIP unless you are in the U.S.

So BE CAREFUL - ideally, I recommend a disposable cell phone for your PayPal account or a land line. If you are in the UK, where they do extensive checks on the phone number, you will need my addendum to the Short List which explains how to do the phone verification. VOIP does NOT work in countries like the UK.
    UK PayPal phone verification - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

But anyway - the point of this post - being that I use Magic Jack for a lot of things lately, and I noticed a couple of annoying bugs:

1 - there is no way to caller ID block the outgoing calls. Star 67 does NOT work.

2 - Although Magic Jack obviously works to dial phone calls, it does NOT work to dial, say an extension on a PBX system or to enter a password code.

EXAMPLE: You dial the landline number to access T-Mobile Voice Mail 805 637 7243 in the U.S.
    Now the system prompts you for your cell phone number. On Magic Jack, no matter how many times you dial the ten digit number, whatever is being transmitted at the other end is NOT the number lol and so the T-Mobile system keeps coming back with the annoying "Invalid Entry - Please reenter your mailbox number" prompt.

OR: if you use MagicJack to dial your own cell phone, GOOD LUCK entering your voice mail password to get into the VM system. Will not be recognized.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE: You dial the phone number for say, a government agency or attorney firm and you need to enter a five digit (or whatever) extension number to reach your party. Well, forgettaboutit! no matter how carefully and how many times you enter that code, it does not register and the PBX system gives you back the "invalid entry" prompt.

I spoke to Magic Back about both of these issues and they admitted the problems. They said that for some reason Magic Jack does work to enter codes and extension numbers when you phone your bank, but not otherwise. Makes no sense to me why it would (or would not?) work in any of these situations.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

How much is it to change the phone number with magic jack?

Comment

Appears to cost $4.95 to change the first time, $10. each time after that.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Just a crazy thought...I wonder if you could hold a regular phone up to the magic jack and enter the code that way? Don't these just work off the tone given when you type the #? Does that makes sense?

Comment

It's strange - the tone is the same (I mean, you push the buttons, you hear the tone), and I even tried two different brand new phones with Magic Jack (one Uniden, one Panasonic), no dice.

It does work to choose extension choices when calling your bank though - crazy.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

That's very strange. I can't imagine it's the VOIP... it's got to be something in the jack. This won't work then for eBay verification because you have to press a random number to accept the call. It says "If you're expecting this call, please press ____" and ____ always changes.

Comment

Unless Ebay's extensions are equivalent to bank phone line options.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X