Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buyer Returned Item Not As Described, Seller Claims Damaged Upon Return Blames Buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer Returned Item Not As Described, Seller Claims Damaged Upon Return Blames Buyer

What happens if a buyer receives an item that is not as described and appears to have been damaged during shipping...And then the seller agrees to accept a return and issue a refund upon receiving the item....But then when the seller receives the item, he claims damages onto the buyer?

Essentially, I bought an item and it arrived in not working condition and appeared to have been damaged during shipping, as it was packaged poorly by the seller. I informed the seller about the problem and requested a refund. I also suggested that he file a claim with USPS for damages, and I offered to let them come and inspect it. He was not interested in that, and instead offered to give me a refund if I returned the item in the condition it was in.

So I did, and I did it through an open case on ebay, where I provided tracking info and confirmation of delivery.

However, now he got the item back and is trying to blame me for the damages, saying it is damaged even more than I described.

Could ebay decide in his favor?

They put the case on hold to allow him to submit pictures before and after, whereas I have no pictures. I contacted ebay several times before returning it to make sure I had done everything by the book, and they never said I needed pictures to prove anything and qualify for buyers protection refund. They said to just return it and provide tracking info, and once he signs for it, I would get a refund through buyer protection if he refused to give me one.
    Last edited by ldys; 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM.

Generally Ebay rules in favor of the buyer in disputes where the issue is non-receipt, if the seller is unable to prove delivery with tracking.

But in situations such as you describe, could go either way. As a seller I once sold something where exactly this happened, but I just agreed to re-sell the item, refund in full. I relisted and documented the damage in the new listing. Since it was a very expensive item, I ended up getting pretty much the same sales price during the relisting.

Let us know how this turns out for you.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X