Ebay and PayPal phone and email verifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay and PayPal phone and email verifications

If you log into your Ebay account and Ebay cannot link you back to a prior log in with cookies, flash objects or IP address, Ebay may ask for some verification before it allows you to list an item for sale.
    EBAY tracking - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

(Usually Ebay doesn't bother with verification if all you are doing is logging in - it tags you for verification when you try to do something substantive such as list an item for sale.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	EbayConfirmIdentity.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	68472

The system offers you the option of having a PIN code sent by VOICE (I've also seen the option for TEXT) to your registered phone number on your Ebay account
    (another reason to have a real phone, where you may pick up the line and say Hello, attached to your Ebay and PayPal accounts)
    Phone Number verification - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
    ), or even to a new phone number (although I would think that giving Ebay different phone numbers to call you and never the registered one would lead to unwanted flags of the account)

or, lately, after first answering your secret question, lately gives you the option of having it emailed to your registered email address. This email verification option is of course the most painless and the one I opt for so as not to burn minutes on the disposable cell phones I have attached to my Ebay and PayPal accounts.

These verifications are rather painless and easy to deal with. Eventually after the Ebay systems becomes accustomed to your logging in with no cookies or flash objects intact, and from different IP addresses, it will ease off on the verification requests.

Sometimes of course, Ebay will phone you out of the blue to check up on you and make sure that you are a real human being with a phone line where they may contact you, and ask you some questions about your account. Such a phone call is almost always made within a few weeks of your opening a new Ebay account, and occasionally afterwards. Again, this is why the Short List recommends a dedicated line for each of your Ebay/PayPal accounts, so that when the call comes in, you don't fumble and wonder who might be calling and why, and who you are supposed to be when the phone rings. Such fumbling will get your account suspended in short order, especially if the call is to allay suspicions Ebay or PayPal have about your account.

And sometimes EBay or PayPal will phone you with their minds already made up that you are to be suspended or limited, and if they cannot reach you, that will be the final nail in the coffin of your accounts. If anything like this happens, hire me for tech support to get the accounts back.

Again, when it comes to phone verifications, this is why I do not necessarily recommend something like Google Voice or any sort of voicemail for your Ebay and PayPal accounts - because you should be able to handle such calls with ease and already know whom Ebay and PayPal expect to be answering the phone.
    With Google Voice or other voicemails, if you can set the voicemail to ring through to a cell phone, you will need to:
    SET the caller ID feature to ring through only the caller ID of the voicemail account (and not the caller ID of the calling party), so that whenever you see that number you know, Oh, whoever is calling about my Ebay or PayPal account because that is the only thing I use that Google Voice or voicemail for.
    OTHERWISE, when the phone rings, you won't know whether the call is about your Ebay account or not - all you will see is a caller ID and not be certain that this is about a particular EBay or PayPal.

It really helps to put EBay and PayPal at ease if they phone you and you answer with the name of the account holder. ("Not just 'Hello,' but the Name of the account holder, very businesslike, and very reassuring.") I can't emphasize enough how important that is especially on new accounts.

Read these threads too for further background on the subject:
    Does EBAY make a phone call - phone verification - for every new EBAY account? - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

PayPal phone calls, verifications, issues, marketing - Reasons why Paypal might call. - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

And if you are from the United Kingdom:
    UK PayPal phone verification - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

or Australia:
    eBay Australia phone verification - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Consider also:
    Paypal states "We do not recognize the device you are using" - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X