A brief Thank You note for SevnSins - the war against forum spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief Thank You note for SevnSins - the war against forum spam

SevnSins has been vigilant with reporting SPAM posts on this forum. This helps us keep the forum clean of this nonsense.

When I get a SPAM report I also check out the IP address of the SPAMMER (just Google it) and in most cases it is a repeat offender. I go ahead and block the IP address to prevent future transgressions.

There is a modification I am considering for the forum. It prevents "bots" from registering. If the registration process is lightning fast (automated robotic speed) it blocks the registration.

But, I am not certain that is what is going on here. We have a captcha
    Click image for larger version

Name:	captcha.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	70385
    requirement at registration, but I have read of the ability of some bots to break weaker captchas. Will check into that.

Since we do have a captcha at sign up, seems to me like our spammers here are humans and not bots.

Some forums require a captcha at every post, but that is overkill and annoying.

You know one thing cool about spammers is that they give you a heads up as to what the most popular thread is on your forum! Spammers tend to post only in threads that they find via some sort of Google search.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Just trying to pitch in. I personally hate SPAM, especially the human kind. I tracked a few down in the past too.

Comment

We now also have human verification questions.
      Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
      Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X