No announcement yet.

False account details - possible fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False account details - possible fraud?

I've seen increasing numbers of cases recently where people have been prosecuted for selling counterfeit goods online. In many cases the people have used the tactics many of us know to operate multiple accounts on marketplaces usually under false or inaccurate details. As a result they have also faced charges of fraud for using fraudulent information on the accounts.

Of course, on here the sale of counterfeit goods is not condoned in any way (unlike on aspkin's forum!). But what about the use of false or misleading details registering accounts when running multiple accounts?

Are we actually committing fraud or is there a defense for this? I'm not trying to scare people, but I know we would not condone any illegal activity on here so it's important we address the law on this.

Selling VERO is illegal. The VERO guide/ tech support protects you to the highest extent possible from the issues of having listings pulled, accounts suspended and getting sued for trademark and patent infringement. There is no sure fire prevention for being sued or criminally prosecuted,
    eBay **** clothes trader from Bristol given suspended sentence
    Page not found | LincolnshireWorld
    US Man to Serve Prison Term for Selling Counterfeit Software
    Copyright terror: Man sentenced to 15 years in jail for selling 6 counterfeit discs
    but if you follow the guide you will fly under the radar to the best extent possible. No one should sell VERO without getting my VERO guide. The potential penalties are simply too great.

As far as the other issue, if your intent in creating multiple accounts is to sell legitimate goods, no one I have ever heard of or can imagine has gotten in any criminal trouble for that. And even if you create multiple accounts to sell illegitimate goods, if you end up in trouble at all it will be for selling the goods, not for the relatively minor issue of creating multiple accounts, which let's face it, pretty much is considered just a violation of Ebay's rules.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

Of course. I think the point I'm making is many people who have run into trouble with the law, have found that using false details helps the case the authorities have against them by showing their dishonest intent and are at risk of further charges of fraud.

Is what we are doing by using other details to create multiple accounts in fact illegal or is there a defence for this?

Comment

You're mixing and matching scenarios. In this context there is no issue I've ever been aware of or even heard of where creating multiple accounts has resulted in any such problems.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

When the police want to obtain your bank records or paypal account history do they get a subpoena? Or is a subpoena for private entities, and is there another name for what the police need to get your private records?

Comment

Government may use subpoena or search warrant, the difference ties to what sort of proceedings are in motion, but the end result is about the same.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Fraud, period. This scenario is not VERO. This is about a goal , using counterfeit products, & deceiving customers into believing the product are genuine for financial gain? Fraud. Then knowingly sign contacts user agreements with false information the sole purpose? intent to commit crimes, Fraud.
              Originally posted by El Mariachi View Post
              I've seen increasing numbers of cases recently where people have been prosecuted for selling counterfeit goods online. In many cases the people have used the tactics many of us know to operate multiple accounts on marketplaces usually under false or inaccurate details. As a result they have also faced charges of fraud for using fraudulent information on the accounts.

Of course, on here the sale of counterfeit goods is not condoned in any way (unlike on aspkin's forum!). But what about the use of false or misleading details registering accounts when running multiple accounts?

Are we actually committing fraud or is there a defense for this? I'm not trying to scare people, but I know we would not condone any illegal activity on here so it's important we address the law on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Springsteen View Post
                Fraud, period. This scenario is not VERO. This is about a goal , using counterfeit products, & deceiving customers into believing the product are genuine for financial gain? Fraud. Then knowingly sign contacts user agreements with false information the sole purpose? intent to commit crimes, Fraud.
                I agree it is fraud by legal definition. The point Modee is making is that you would not come to the attention of the authorities for this unless you were doing some other kind of illegal activity (such as selling counterfeits). True this may be, but this would undoubtedly be an aggravating factor if you got caught, and we have to remember it is strictly speaking still fraud in itself.

In my opinion you are much safer either using variations of your own name, or doing things in the name of a business. That way you'll always have a defense because you just can't predict what might happen. Who knows, someone could discover there's an account being operated in their name that they didn't know about, they cry fraud and you're looking at identity theft.

Comment

Right there are two separate issues (1) selling VERO, (2) creating an account under a false name. Unless you come under fire for (1) no government authority is going to care about (2) and even so, at worst evidence of (2) might be used to prove intent to defraud.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I've always sold handbags. Premier such as Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Chanel etc.authentic. My listings always included that I am not an employee of xyz, these are my personal handbags property.....I was fine. Then you have another side, the sellers that are selling authentic items however they sell Football Jerseys. VERO will pull those because of liscensing

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post
                      Government may use subpoena or search warrant, the difference ties to what sort of proceedings are in motion, but the end result is about the same.

Will the bank inform you or are you able to find out if a subpoena or search warrant has been executed on your banking records? Or is the bank strictly forbidden from disclosing this to you?

Comment

When law enforcement is involved such as with a search warrant they have the option to request that the bank or whatever party is involved (ISP, etc.) NOT notify you, or DELAY notification, and when this option is exercised, the party always obeys. But with civil subpoenas the party subpoenaed will notify you.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post
                          When law enforcement is involved such as with a search warrant they have the option to request that the bank or whatever party is involved (ISP, etc.) NOT notify you, or DELAY notification, and when this option is exercised, the party always obeys. But with civil subpoenas the party subpoenaed will notify you.
                          Do law enforcement routinely request you are not notified or delayed notification?

Comment

Always.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

When a subpoena is used by the authorities (NOT a search warrant) will you be informed of the existence of the request?

Comment

Working...
                              X