No announcement yet.

False account details - possible fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal investigations typically use search warrants before an arrest is made. Once a case is ongoing, then sometimes they use subpoenas and they don't notify the defendant, but the defendant's attorney gets a copy of all ongoing discovery.

Also keep in mind that you will usually get notification of an official request, but the authorities are allowed to ask the entities to DELAY notification is all, and various statutes compel them to obey and not notify you immediately.

https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...t213report.pdf
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

I had an issue with a bank about a year ago, I won't name the bank as they're not one of the big boys but they only operate on the east coast so maybe you can guess. They were treating me very suspicious for almost a month and then suddenly everything went back to normal, no problem. I was sure there was some kind of investigatory interest in the account.

I have asked them a number of times even recently if there were ever any search warrants or subpoenas served on my account and they always said no. Do you think they would be in a position now to tell me if I ask?

Comment

That's strange because with delayed notification the banks do reveal that there was a search warrant, eventually.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Would a year certainly be enough time passed for them to disclose if there ever was a search warrant or subpoena? Is there another kind that's not delayed notification but never notification?

Comment

Read the report above. Also read the terms of service of your bank account the details will all be in there about most everything as far as normal disclosures. You know, all those lengthy pamphlets with dozens of pages of legalese that almost no one ever reads until it is too late.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

I found that if there was a search warrant then I certainly would have been notified by now.

If it was a subpoena would I still have received notice from the bank, or would I only learn about it much later during discovery (if say that happened)?

Comment

I'm not sure what is going on with this situation (or necessarily want to know ) but a general rule of thumb with state matters is that criminal charges are usually filed within six months of the event; with federal within a year. After that length of time passes, assuming the behavior has ceased, you are usually in the clear.

On a civil matter the investigation can take longer before a case is filed, but not a whole lot longer.

There isn't any other way to answer your question short of rampant speculation.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

IF anything were going on I think it's a civil matter. My question is would you be notified a subpoena had been executed on bank records or would you only learn about it once the case commenced?

And who's responsibility is it to notify you? The bank or the individual who obtained the subpoena?

Comment

You should research this and get back to us - and it depends on whether it is a delayed response by statute, or judge's order.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                    X