A bumper year for high flying stocks like GOOGL and FB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bumper year for high flying stocks like GOOGL and FB

It's been truly a bumper year for my stock portfolio. Every time I'm just about to convert it into cash it jumps to new heights. I'm holding a combination of tech stocks with high cash reserves such as Google and Facebook.

Much as I'd love to hold onto these boys until I'm 100, I need the cash to buy some property. Is right now not such a good time to sell or should I wait another 6 months?

If this roller coaster has some new heights coming up soon then I'm prepared to hold on a little longer. Or are we in over bought territory now? I know there's normally a dip in the markets in the middle of the year and it's not usually a good time to sell then, but what about the second half of the year like we're in now?

I don't think you can second guess the high fliers like AMZN and GOOGL. Naysayers think they are going down, but even after they do, they go back up to record highs. Fundamentally I agree more with GOOGL of course. I don't follow Facebook stock.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

The worst thing, or rather the only bad thing about buying into these high flying stocks is once you do you simply never want to sell them! Since time of writing my last post my stock holdings have soared to new record highs. I'm not complaining but I'm just looking for a suitable time to sell as I need the cash. Is there going to be a good time coming up to sell, like a slump over the summer or anything? I'll just be too annoyed with myself if I sell and then see the stocks I was holding jump by 5% within the next week.

Comment

I'd just keep holding unless you need the cash, in which case the price is irrelevant because you are selling just because...you must.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Perhaps it's ironic to post on this forum, but I've been looking at PayPal stock recently. Looks pretty strong, they have growing user numbers and growing transactions. This actually sort of defies my internal logic because I felt that there was becoming growing competition in online payments that PP would struggle to stand up to.

The stock price and fundamentals tend to prove me wrong. What do you think of this stock?

Comment

How about creating a new thread on that stock?

Modee Tech Support

Comment

The roller coaster was bound to hit a bump eventually. My tech stocks were up more than 30% this year then in the last couple of days bang, down 5%.

I'm thinking whether this needs to be my exit from the tech stocks for a while

Comment

They are recovering again today, not up as much as they lost yesterday,
                US stocks sink on Trump impeachment fears
                but definitely up. Yesterday was a bad day for all stocks as impeachment rumors hit, as people felt that whatever impetus Grump had given to the stock market would be lost.

In general - especially if you intend to hold longer term - there is something to be said for buying when others are selling, selling when others are buying.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Before even having much time to consider selling, my stocks have largely recovered. There is a good deal of buoyancy in the market. Retail is not looking too good, but many other areas appear to be very healthy

Comment

If you've followed my posts, I got out of almost all my AMZN before earnings, and actually tried to short AMZN at 1083.5 wow how great that would have been, but I did not fill. Been day trading AMZN since, buying on dips doing fine. The over all trend for these stocks lately is DOWN, but over time they should still do well.

I'd have more faith right now in GOOGL than AMZN though, because AMZN's inability to turn a decent profit is haunting it again right now.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

The stock market grinds ever higher... and higher.

I'm constantly looking for an opportunity to sell on a high and then buy on a dip. My issue is I have one pool of funds already fully into Amazon, FaceBook, Apple, Microsoft, etc. and I have another pool of funds that I redeemed from another investment months ago and I'm waiting for a good opportunity to push all of that into those stocks.

But the market just never seems to drop long enough to present an opportunity for me to buy in more!

What do you think should I just stop waiting and go all in now, or is there likely to be some sell off on the horizon somewhere? The price of these stocks is really, really high now and I'd hate to go all in and then suddenly that big drop presents itself for the great buying opportunity but I've already missed it and suffered the loss.

Comment

I’ve been holding stocks like AMZN and TSLA continuously for years now. I do trade additional shares but as far as my long terms I don’t try to market time. Just buy and hold.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                        X