Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparing Google Checkout and PayPal - entering tracking #s and other comparisons

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Google Checkout and PayPal - entering tracking #s and other comparisons

Each has its pluses and minuses.

1. Entering tracking numbers on GC is definitely faster. The Google system opens up new windows much faster, and there are less windows to navigate back to after entering the tracking number.

a. With PayPal:
    1. Click Track
    2. Click Add tracking info
    3. Enter tracking / select pull down menus / Click Save
    4. Click Return to My Account
    Each one of these Clicks takes a good few seconds to navigate to the next screen. Also, even after Returning to your account, the PayPal system still might not show the item as Shipped in the "recent activity" view.
    One tip is to use the right click on your mouse to open a new window, and then collapse the whole new window rather than navigate to "return to my account" each time. That saves a few seconds on each operation.

b. With Google Checkout:
    1. Once you are in the "My Sales" view:
    2. Click under "Action" to Ship
    3. Enter tracking number / select pull down menu (Carrier) / Click "Send Confirmation"
    GC pages open and load very quickly. GC will never delay updating their system to show items as shipped - happens instantly.

2. PayPal does offer more options in the pull down menu - not just "Shipped" but also "In Process," "On Hold," "Cancelled," and "Returned." However - who has time to log in and change the status from "In Process" to "Shipped." I just enter the tracking right away, even if I do not ship for a day or two.

3. With GC if the tracking number is entered erroneously, that's it. No chance to ever change it. With PayPal, you can modify it at any time, including remove the tracking numbers and change to the word "Delivered" or some such if it is something you don't even want a record of ever having been shipped. :-)

Also overall: with GC, whether you enter the tracking or not, if there is a dispute, Google will email and ask you for the proof of tracking as if they cannot even access your account to pull it from the order details themselves. With PayPal, if the tracking is in place, they will not ask for it again.

BUT this brings me to one over all difference between PayPal and GC: once a payment is processed on GC, that's it: unless the buyer initiates a dispute or chargeback, your payment will not be reversed (provided your account itself stays in good standing). But with PayPal, PP itself can reverse a payment sua sponte, even without a buyer complaint, and PP sometimes does this days after the payment has landed and you think all is well.

So, to summarize:

GC is a quicker, albeit slightly more limited, tracking input operation. PayPal has a few more options available for shipping status.

GC is nicer about getting you YOUR money short of buyer chargebacks or disputes. And...final point: even if there is a buyer dispute GC will NOT snag the money from your account until AFTER the dispute is completed. PP locks up (holds) the disputed amount the moment the buyer dispute comes in. If a dispute comes in shortly after you have initiated a PP withdrawal to your bank account, PP will even reverse that withdrawal if those funds are needed for the "hold" that happens when a buyer dispute is initiated.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

For a more detailed analysis of the differences, and information on how to avoid losing any money to chargebacks and buyer disputes, consider hiring me for tech support. Those techniques are best not posted in public.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

in paypal where it says "print shipping label" in "my account" you can click on the far right and theres a button to quickly enter tracking information

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for the tip.

It still does take a little while for the browser to take the information and return you to the "My account" page. The Google system is much quicker.

Also, if you have more than one page of sales to enter, you still have to wait (and wait....) while the next pages loads in PayPal.

But your tip definitely saves a couple of steps in the process!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Modee View Post

BUT this brings me to one over all difference between PayPal and GC: once a payment is processed on GC, that's it: unless the buyer initiates a dispute or chargeback, your payment will not be reversed (provided your account itself stays in good standing). But with PayPal, PP itself can reverse a payment sua sponte, even without a buyer complaint, and PP sometimes does this days after the payment has landed and you think all is well.
          This also means exactly what it implies - that Google, especially once you get established with them, cares more about making certain that the credit card payment passes all fraud checks and risk management algorithms. In other words, their scrutiny is primarily of the BUYER.

Paypal on the other hand, is constantly looking into WHAT you sell and whether your business is "high risk."
          PayPal new policy - no "high likelihood of being fraudulent" type sales - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
          -in other words, they scrutinize you the SELLER.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Doesn't googlecheckout hold your money? Are they easy to work with?
            ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
            Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
            You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
            Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
            PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

Lately I have had a couple of unethical customers try chargebacks on one of my Google Checkout accounts. I submitted the requested docs to Google (really, just online-trackable delivery confirmation), and won every chargeback.

A while back, someone tried a "not as described" dispute with Google Checkout and STILL lost (me - the seller - prevailed).

I am convinced that Google fights much harder for us sellers when chargebacks happen.

PayPal:
              I had one situation with PayPal on a NON-Ebay sale where the buyer ended up trying to keep the merchandise AND winning the chargeback. I managed to get the merchandise back, but still lost the chargeback. Mind you, this was even on a non-Ebay transaction where PayPal is typically a little less pro-buyer:
              PayPal on EBAY versus PayPal on your own website - Buyer Protection Policy - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

And there you have it: my opinion, Google is more seller oriented. PayPal, more buyer oriented.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

question about google buttons

if I put in the google buttons instead of cartmanager, will I have problem with google checkout?

Comment

Well if you put Google buttons in your ebay auctions you'll get suspended immediately because Google isn't allowed on ebay. Cartmanager is a buffer between ebay and Google checkout.
                  ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
                  Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
                  You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
                  Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
                  PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

Another thing I have noticed is that when you ciick to withdraw funds from PayPal, it takes 2 - 3 business days.

With Google Checkout, while you have no control over the withdrawals (all funds are swept out to your bank on a regular basis), once the withdrawal shows on your GC account it appears the same day in your bank.

So...what is PayPal doing with our money during the interim when it is neither in our PayPal accounts nor in our banks? Those pennies of interest add up to millions!

Also check out
                    Another way PayPal fleeces us - ACH withdrawals happen faster than ACH deposits - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

Modee Tech Support

Comment

question for google checkout

How long does google need a tracking number for my orders.

Im thinking of selling the items in ebay first (without the items at hand) and then ordering the items from my supplier which could take up to 8 business days to receive. ( I will make it clear on my listing that this item I am selling is preorder and will ship within a certain date)

Will google ask me for the tracking within a certain number of days?

Thanks

Comment

Google doesn't care if you enter the tracking numbers or not, BUT if you do not enter them:

1 - Your account will be placed under higher scrutiny.
                        2 - Your customers will be more likely to complain and do chargebacks or disputes.

The same applies to PayPal.

I've gone in and changed tracking numbers on PayPal months after the fact, so I am not sure there is any deadline for entering them with PP or GC.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

By the way, as noted above, once a payment on Google Checkout is approved, unless the buyer initiates a dispute or chargeback, that's it - the money is yours, no holds, and WILL land in your bank within a few business days.

With PayPal, you are not even guaranteed your funds at any point - PayPal can initiate holds, including the 21 day one, and can reverse transfers to your bank.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Lately when PayPal sends in the tiny little deposits to confirm the bank account, the next day, after the account has been confirmed, it takes the few cents back out of the account (twenty cents on the bank account I confirmed this week)

Google Checkout goes ahead and leaves the money in your bank account - which must add up to millions (average GC deposit is 0.91 which is a lot actually). I guess Google can afford it - PayPal cannot!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

PayPal payments may be reversed sua sponte by PayPal itself!

Check this out:
                              PayPal payment received, settled into PayPal account, next business day reversed - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

PayPal payments, as noted in this thread, may be reversed by PayPal itself even though the buyer himself initiates no dispute.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                              X