Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does "free shipping" really work in the buyer's eye? Is free S&H&P good idea on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does "free shipping" really work in the buyer's eye? Is free S&H&P good idea on Ebay

I just sold my very first Item which was my babys Fisher Price cradle swing and from my little time research I did. I did the right method as what I read but set the "buy it now" price too low.

What I read was to set you final "buy it now" price, take half of that, then take 10% off that half, and this would be your "Bid start price".

Well not thinking of shipping I set the price at $60.99 (free shipping) and the bid start at $20.99. This was sold the very next day off the "Buy it now" price and come to find out, after asking the post office how much it would cost to ship that from NC to Kansas, they said it may very well be about $30.00. Swing weighs in at 25LBS

At the end I might of just made on $20 dollars on this, when I have only had it maybe 9 months and it cost $113 brand new.

My first qyestion is:
    Where did I go wrong?
    How could a great seller made great money off this item?
    Does "free shipping" attract a buyers eyes?

Good question.

Generally, I do free shipping auctions only on items that cost me nothing or next to nothing, where really I am trying to get five star DSRs to raise my DSR ratings. Keeping your DSR ratings can get you the coveted EBay "Top Rated Seller" rating and Power Seller discounts of up to 20% on your fees.
    Requesting feedback, five star DSR from your EBAY buyers - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

But generally, honestly, I MAKE money on my shipping, handling, packaging charges and put verbiage in all my Ebay auctions to the effect of how carefully and well we pack our goods, how expensive our shipping materials are, and why my international rates are higher because have to physically ship all international items at the post office counter (I do this so that I at least get the Customs # logged as having been SENT, which does NOT happen if you mail from home or office with stamps), etc. etc.

Keep in mind of course:
    Listings pulled / removed due to "excessive shipping" - Ebay "handling time" required - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

I give my buyers a song and dance about why I charge that much, and then I get away with charging it.

Also, international buyers' DSR ratings are ignored by Ebay anyway - only DSRs from buyers in your own country affect your ratings.

In any case, free shipping might attract buyers but in general your auctions will not close at the same price they would have - net to you - when compared to auctions where you charged money for S&H&P.

Most of my auctions are no reserve, starting price a penny:
    No reserve auctions, low starting price - ARE THE TICKET! - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited
    and I think such auctions are better suited to free S&H&P auctions than Buy It Now ones.
    Please read the forum rules before you post.

And if you need extra help:
    Modee Tech Support

Comment

Modee,
      I just found this website thru Yahoo answers and I am really enjoyin this. I read through some stuff on here as you said about starting your Bids real low. WOW I never thought that would work and I may just try it.

My questions here are:
      What is DSR stand for?
      Where do you get your stickers from to put in the package for 5 star DSR?

Comment

DSR is Detailed Seller Ratings. Starting last year, Ebay buyers leave sellers not just Positive, Negative or Neutral feedback, but also ratings in four categories:
        * Item as Described
        * Communication
        * Shipping time
        * Shipping and Handling charges

The stickers mentioned in the above thread - you must create those yourself. For detailed help on this sort of thing and other matters, you should consider tech support.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Modee,
          I must say you are great help! Like I said I am just starting this Ebay thing so I may ask crazy questions.

*****I think I also read on a place that you believe its better just to place bidding then to just open a store....is that correct?
          *****What PLACE or ONLINE WEBSITE would you recommend to go and purchase brand new stuff at a low price and make great money off of it?
          *****By just selling stuff on BID Auctions and making great money, Do I have to do anything with taxes at the end of the year or is that only if I open a store?

Comment

You should search the forum and spend a few days really reading. Some of your questions are answered in different threads.

Please read the forum rules, linked below in my signature.

After research, if you still have questions, please consider tech support.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Well I offer free shipping on all my Buy It Nows. All of my auctions are buy it nows because I don't like dealing with people who pay late. I require upfront payment when they click buy it now. Anyways, free shipping does give you a edge over the competition because usually people don't like paying for the shipping only the goods they are buying. I include the shipping cost into the buyer's purchase price so that way they get the "feeling" of getting free shipping. I mean I've also sold many items where I charge shipping. I mean it depends on what your competition is doing. After all you beat your competitors and you get the customers.
              ~I Wholesale BlackBerry Unlock Codes~
              Make Money On Ebay and Sell BlackBerry Unlock Codes
              You Can Sell These Unlock Codes Any Where Around the World
              Make An Extra $500-$1,000 A Month!
              PM Me for Pricing Or If You Have Any Questions

Comment

I just placed an item for $.99 and someone has already BID on it. From what I read before, I thought you could change your BID 12 hours prior prior of the BID ending time? Anyways, this person BID and all the boxes are greyed out and it wont let me do anything. My page is set at $.99 / free shipping / and there is no BUY IT NOW price / with 6 days left. I was just trying to follow the $.99 stradegy and have a bunch of bids. I am afraid it will just be won at $.99 and I make nothing.

Did I make a mistake?
                Should I have had a BUY IT NOW price as well?
                Is it too early to tell?

Comment

There are some things you may change up until a certain number of hours before the auction's end. Other things you may not change once any bids have been placed.

You are incorrect in saying ALL boxes are greyed out once a bid is placed. Some are, some are not.

Why are you panicking with six days (out of seven) left on the listing? Yes it is too early to know what will happen. As they said in Star Wars (the original movie): STAY ON TARGET!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Having a Tracking Number on International Shipments

Originally posted by Modee View Post
                    Good question.

But generally, honestly, I MAKE money on my shipping, handling, packaging charges and put verbiage in all my Ebay auctions to the effect of how carefully and well we pack our goods, how expensive our shipping materials are, and why my international rates are higher because have to physically ship all international items at the post office counter (I do this so that I at least get the Customs # logged as having been SENT, which does NOT happen if you mail from home or office with stamps), etc. etc.

Hey I dont know if this will help you out Modee or some others, but if you print International postage from home say USPS.com or through Paypal print label you do get tracking, and I believe even a customs number. It lets you fill in all the info online and when it prints it is all entered all you gotta do is sign it. I am pretty sure its this way through usps.com but I know for sure with paypal. I got to the bottom of the transaction and click print postage, I usually do Priority Flat Rate and then fill out all the info that it asks you and print. Wallah! You got a tracking number automatically, and it is already entered and saved in the paypal transaction because you did it through them.

I was driving myself bonkers doing it in the post office in person, no tracking just a customs number. Such a hassel to prove if you actually need to...

Hope that helps!!
                    Oh and PS, if you do lighter things, like envelopes where you cant really get tracking unless you do certified mail, get a little digital scale, and once again do it through PP. It will add tracking to it for you, first class.

Comment

Correct, but the problem is that when you ship internationally, the difference between 1st Class Mail and Priority is HUGE, and most buyers will not pay for that.

The only way to get any form of tracking at all (at least proof of shipment via the Customs Form #) on 1st Class Mail International, is to ship directly at the post office (post office not postal annex) counter.

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Booo, didnt know that. I usually send Priority, because I use those flat rate boxes or envelopes where you can stuff I believe up to 7 lbs in the envelope and small box for like $12.95. So for me, also because it includes tracking, its worth it. But I see how if you where shipping smaller light weight items it just wouldnt be beneficial.

Comment

Modee,
                          You made me laugh! Oh and yes the price has gone up $5.00 now so I see that I dont need to Panic ha ha ha THANKS!

Oh and the boxes I was talking about greyed out was just the BID and BUY NOW area.

Comment

Do I confirm that I received payment if its only awaiting in Paypal or not until I get it in my bank account?

Comment

Once PP states that you received payment and marks it as OKAY TO SHIP you are pretty much okay.

But read all this closely too:
                              Comparing Google Checkout and PayPal - entering tracking #s and other comparisons - Free EBAY, PayPal, Business and Law Forums - Ebay Suspension, PayPal Limited

You have a LOT of homework to do - please spend a few days reading this website carefully. Most of your questions will be answered on this forum. For others, you can hire me for tech support. Thanks!

Modee Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                              X